bergfly - missives from the field

28 November 2005

Some Photos

I have been taking the odd photo here and there over the last few weeks. I have been meaning to post them here, but have not really got around to it. Here are a few from the road in British Columbia and Alberta. I have a hope of one day been able to capture all the animals that I am lucky enough to see on camera. But so far I have not got great photos of any really. Sure, I like my Coyote photo (see previous entry) and I like some of these, but they are in fact nothing fantastic. The reasons are varied, but minimal come down to the camera and time. I have a little Canon A80 which is a great little point and shoot camera but gets streched a bit when it comes to big landscapes and wildlife. There is no way around the fact that animals need really big lenses on good cameras and we have not the money or reason to throw that sort of cash around (as much as I would love to). Add to this the fact that I don't take real time over the shots and there is nothing great yet. By real time I mean waiting for good light, spending time just watching animals and trying to make an approach. I simply pull the truck over to the side of the road and shoot. Hence the average results. Still, here are a couple shots


This first one is taken on the Alaska highway heading over to toad river. Its a beautiful river valley leading into the Rockies.

Just outside Toad river there is a wonderful river, with glacier blue tinged water. That's the truck on the left. I think this is one of my best shots to date.
Did I mention that I just stop on the road and shoot. Sometimes that's easy as the animals just don't move. Take these Caribou (or reindeer) Tried to get arty and shoot into the light.

Took this at the end of last week in the middle of nowhere. A couple of bison in the snow. There was a herd of about 20 just walking next to the road. Untroubled by me in the truck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home