bergfly - missives from the field

13 November 2005


Well, another week of long drives and cold installs. Three installs of dishes this week and 2000km has be interesting and tough. The best part has definately been the drive. Above is a picture of a coyote taken on the side of the Alaskan highway. Most of the time you get to see these little wonders trotting away from the highway as you approach. For the first time this one simply stayed at the side of the highway a I drew level and took out the camera. With almost no traffic on this section of the highway I got to spend a couple minutes with this beautiful animal before he finally headed back to the security of the forest.

I also got to see my first wolves of the north, but sadly they were not in the same shape as this coyote. Both were frozen stiff and lightly covered with snow, having been shot close to the location I was installing a dish.

Thursday might have been my worst day in a long time. After digging half built dishes out the snow, dismantling them and packing them into the truck, i drove 100km past the sight of my 2nd install and then had issue after issue getting the system running. Finally I got everything up and running around midnight and started back to Grande Prairie. I got in at 4:30 and to finish the day had Chili (our car) break down in the middle of the parking lot. I had to get Wen-Shu out of bed at 5 in the morning to help me push Chili out of the way before finally heading off to bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home