bergfly - missives from the field

21 October 2005

My computer woes


Right now I am trying to build a couple of computers with varying degrees of success. At home I am planning a Kubuntu build for Wen-shu, which I hope might get her over to Linux. It will have Chinese issues I am sure, but let’s hope they are easily resolved. My work laptop needs a lot more power than that, so I have spent a very long time changing things. So far it has had Knoppix 3.9 on it, as well as Kubuntu 5.10 and a non booting install of Kanotix 10RC. I have Kanotix RC 12 as well, with no real luck.

Right now it has Knoppix on again, but the install is not the best. It still has DHCP issues, despite my picking Tophe’s brain (he’s my friendly linux geek!)

The little desktop at home has had a torrid time getting running and I was glad to see it boot on that massive 19inch panel into Mandrake. I have since killed the mandrake and have Kubuntu on there, but need a decent internet connection before I can get anything running well. Right now we are on dial up (AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH)

The 80GB hard drive I have in there is definitely not well, but the 40Gb seems fine. I suspect the 80 just needs a good old fashioned BLAT, but I have lots of stuff in there I don’t want to lose. that might be my weekend project. I have a dvd burner, so can get loads of stuff off it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home