bergfly - missives from the field

08 December 2005

Winter was great!


Well, not much of a winter here. I mean there was a bit, but it hasd warmed up again. Since coming to Canada I have become weather obsessed. In the past I really didn't care very much. Living in Thailand I never even looked at the weather forecast. Tomorrow was always fine and warm, even when it rained. But now things change so much and so quickly. The tempature has swung 30 degrees in the past 3 days. From -28 to 4. Thats insane. I am beginning to feel Canadian, walking around in a t-shirt in 4 degrees, enjoying the warm weather.

I must admit -28 is pretty brutal. Sure I can work in it, but it is hard on the hands and the nose. I have good heavy winter clothes, so my core tempature is fine, even standing outside in the snow. I have awesome boots, which keep the toes toasty at the stupid tempatures we get here. But no gloves that are useable can keep your hands warm. We need to work with nuts and bolts and tape in the freeezing cold and thus thin gloves that allow real use of the fingers are essential. So after 15min work it is time to sit in the truck and warm the hands. I have 2 sets of gloves, one of which I leave warming so I can change to them as the others warm up. My nose gets it the worst though. Wen-shu had a smart idea, to use those old SARS masks which I have yet to try out, but hope high hopes it might be good. As long as it keeps warm air around the face, I think it will work.

And no, the image above is not form here, but it is a cold place, even if it is in Patagonia. And I am in it, so it counts. Unlike the last one below, which I stole from the web.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home