bergfly - missives from the field

26 February 2006

Update of many things


Sitting in my truck on a site, waiting for the shack to be hauled onto site, leveled and powered so that I can begin my work, I am struck by the fact I have not blogged for far too long an interval. And despite the fact I might claim otherwise, there is so much to blog on. I guess often we get to a point where there is so much to do, inactivitiy seems the better option. Well, not any more. So many aspects of my life need attention, I guess I simply need to tackle them one at a time. The good thing about blogging, or diary keeping or whatever you want to call it is that is forces us to take stock to some degree and focus attention on our actions. Even if only to record them, but hopefully a bit more.

Recently much has happened. We have been working hard, and I have put in a few 80 hour weeks. These can be tiring, even exhausting as endless early wakings follow late nights. But time passes quickly and money starts to slowly accumulate.

Also, we have a new kitten, a ball of fun, nuisance and happiness. Java, as we have called him, certainly upset the brittle balance of feline power in the household, but our other two seem to have settled back into their lives. Butter is still a bit put out, but change normally takes her months to overcome, so there is no reason to stress.

My attempts to study towards my CISCO assocaite level have been stalled by the endless work, and despite valient tries, my efforts to study after a 14hr day fail. No reason to panic though as there is time and summer will be a lot more sedate. I have been learning a little of linux also, and happily have Kanotix running on this laptop. In fact I am presently using it to type this blog.
As much as I know I should love Ubuntu, being of high south african content and possibly the future of the desktop, I find it confounding and have exhausted my patience with it. I need a root password, simply because that is how I work. I want to be able to watch movies and play music right out the box and I really hate spending hours getting such things running. If I wanted a system that takes 5 hours to build to a level of usefulness I would be using windows!

The latest Kanotix has been rock solid, even working with my wireless card be default. This has me rather happy with life and I am trying to set it up to be useful for everything at work. Already I have found a networking tool far better than anything we have on windows, a packet sniffer called ethereal. Nice!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home