bergfly - missives from the field

26 June 2006

Labrador



Once more again in planes. This time across the whole North American continent as far as the province of Labrador, and then up north into the bush. The country up here is Canada as I imagined it. Lakes and trees and glaciated granites sticking out. No roads, no towns or farms. Float planes and helicopters only. Which is exactly what it was. The 40minute flight out of goose bay took us up into true wilderness, complete with black flies and mosquitoes. Only now, a week later am has the itch finally subsided. The camp itself, there for a Uranium deposit, was a ramshackle collection of structures on the shore of the lake. I flew in by twin otter and a helicopter sat in a tiny clearing. Two teams of geologists and two drilling crews were on site, and they were shuttled around by some very deft flying by the pilot. After most of my work was complete I got to go for a little spin in the helicopter to pick up some geologists. It was good to get out the camp and above the biting flies. Not that I mind the wilderness, but would lack to meet it on more intimate terms. For despite our truly remote location, we lacked for nothing, and I even put in the high speed internet. I personally would prefer to have a bag on my back, or maybe a canoe and truly explore this place, rather than spin in and out. I never got much out of camp on foot, always having too much to do as there were issues with the system.

Still, I would rather be doing this that stuck in an office, as in the world of internet connectivity technicians, I have the coolest job!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home